Sunday, May 07, 2006

Getting into the Skin

Getting into the Skin
an introduction to acting essentials

May 22 – 30, 2006
(Weekends excluded)
10.00 am to 1.30 pm

· Age Requirement: 16 years and above
· Casual and stretchable cotton clothing is mandatory
· No denims nor jeans
· Max. 24 participants only
· Last date for submission 15th May, 2006 (MONDAY)
· For Application Forms & further details email masquerade@vsnl.net
with Subject: "Getting Into The Skin" or call 98840 29865

WORKSHOP DESC. & OBJECTIVE:

"A trained actor can make a huge difference to a production even beyond the director's inputs... Because acting is more a craft than an art"

This is the first workshop that Masquerade brings to a participant outside the repertory. Until 2005, Masquerade has been offering Summer Theatre Workshops solely concentrated on the teens and youth between 13 and 19 years, through Landing Stage Youth Theatre Group. With the need to train oneself as a good actor increasing among the existing young crop of theatre aspirants, Masquerade realises the time has come to open the doors beyond the teen and youth segment.

The Workshop attempts to train anyone who is 16 years and above and is interested in discovering how deep their perception towards acting goes. The workshop would seek to open a whole new way of approaching acting rather than just taking up a role and memorising lines and rehearsing. At the workshop, as a participant, one would get opportunities to play with the given material like a child with a spoon and discover new approaches.

One would get to learn the upkeep of an actor's most precious possession - oneself. One would soon realise the power of the body, the gesture, the space and movements beyond words can explain!

The workshop is contingent to a minimum of 15 participants. Otherwise cancelled. The workshop would be conducted by Krishna Kumar. S & Pritam Chakravarthy.

7 comments:

Krishna Kumar. S said...

Dear Srini...

yes I have been pretty busy with workshops. I don't know much about giving knowledge... but this definitely is my only source of income during summer when regular work does not happen. And am happy.

About going through my entire blog history... summer must really be terrifying you from going outdoors. And surely there must be better blogs than mine to read. Samanth's for example. Varun's is another. Anyway, thanks for that. I definitely with my current work schedule cannot promise to return such a huge favour for another 2 months.

As for no comments in my early posts... even now there are only three or four of you who leave comments on my blog. But I am pretty sure there are a lot of voyeurs to my blog. I know for sure 4 of them who visit me regularly and read stuff here. That is the way world operates. More takers than givers. I definitely know one person who claims to be a large-hearted person to care for the entire world but who doesn't give as much as one takes. Each unto his/her own. We should not judge too easily. Some give, some take, some visit, some leave imprints, some just stealthily lurk away. Am sure if they want to leave comment, they would do so. That must not deter us from writing. We write because we want to, irrespective of readers. It is the pure pleasure of seeing our thoughts codified in verbalisation. Else we would go crazy.

As regards my Ph.D:it's a big story. I submitted my synopsis. Then sought an extension for my final submission. In the meanwhile the university exhausted all the 8 copies of my synopsis because they couldn't find an examiner for me. German speaking examiners (prospective) said my department is english, refused to touch. English examiners (prospective again) said my work was in the area of german literature, refused to touch. Was hard finding an english department overseas examiner proficient in german literature and theatre and would deal with works of german origin translated into english. Finally we found two - one in US and one in South Korea (he was from US, anyway). By the time this happened, two years elapsed. And then one further year almost elapsed by the time I smelt fish, went to Univ section and asked what happened. They put up a slimy smile and said my diss got lost in the shipping process (literally in the waters!). So I had to resubmit copies of diss. And finally I got my public defence, I had outgrown any use of my doctoral. Now I can't teach theatre because my Ph.D is in English, I can't teach English because - inspite of UGC NET - opening are rare and what little we get is not worth it and would take eons to climb to that status where we want to teach. So I am planning to open my own University some day. LOL!

Krishna Kumar. S said...

yes, i did my 7th or so exercise of franchise. it's a good thing we have. and no...it's not hobson's choice. if you call the two dravidian parties evils... well, am glad the new entrant and the national party with the farmer symbol are not dumped into that pool. of course now we have the third dravidian evil (hopefully not) in the form of captain's fourth front. it's interesting how this turns out! i wonder what makes some ppl contest as independent candidates. there were about 7 indie candidates in my constituency. except two of them i don't know their names and only one stands chance of gaining deposit. so what pushes their undaunted souls to go into the fray? their beliefs in a strong ideology to serve their immediate community? that wouldn't be enuf to get them deposit leave alone a seat. Or their stupid enthu fuelled by their immediate coterie of psychophants which makes them think they can win?hmmm!

Abhinav said...

hey nice to see you've expanded to include 20 plus-ers.. really looking forward to the subsequent production

Krishna Kumar. S said...

Hey... that's your first. Thanks for visiting dude... the roving eye-r! I have been having a big headache. IExp has passed it on to Dina Mani as well and I have been getting wierd calls. That merits a post soon! Anyway, don't miss my next prod. It's a whacker of a bitch time. It's all about theatre and the petty politics.

Abhinav said...

theatre and petty politics?? come on, just what the doctor ordered.. and i very much object to roving eye-r! even tho its a nice play on words, and, well, mostly true.

About Sean Buvala said...

Sounds like an outstanding workshop with young people...and it appears that you expect much of them and for them. Very fine indeed.

Krishna Kumar. S said...

Oh my god... I have been visited by none other than Sean Buvala. I am speechless. I think this is the finest visit to my blog. Thanks Sean... I mean... am overwhelmed. You're doing a great job with the storyteller.net. Keep it up.